Semi-permanent makeup techniques are becoming very popular in Mumbai. Lip tattooing is a semi-permanent cosmetic make-up technique which is great for adjusting the irregular shape and color of the lips and to lighten dark lips. It is also effective in making the indistinct and unclear lip line more vivid. It can also help in case of uneven spots and vitiligo on the lips. Lip tattooing is done to enhance the beauty of the lips not for adding volume or fullness.
The semi permanent makeup lip tattooing procedure
In lip tattooing micro pigments similar to traditional ink tattoos are deposited on the epidermal layer of the skin covering the lips.
- Dr. Batul Patel will do a detailed examination of the health of your lips and discuss your expectations in detail
- We will check the thickness and tone of the upper and lower lip lines after which we will design the lip line
- A local anaesthesia is applied to the lip area to reduce pain
- The colour that suits your lips is selected
- The micro pigmentation machine is setup
- A gentle pressure is applied with the tip of the machine needle and the ink is deposited in a sequential manner
- A bearable pain might be experienced at the treatment areas
- The treatment area is gentle massage for better insertion of the color
Since this is a semi-permanent lip tattooing technique the lip tattoo fades away in few years, so we recommend patients to come for a touch-up once a year.
Are there any side-effects of this treatment?
If tattoo is done by inexperienced person then there might be chances of bruising and post treatment pain. Poorly sterilized equipment can result in an infection. At The Bombay Skin Clinic in South Mumbai all lip tattooing treatments are done by our medical director Dr. Batul Patel, in a clean and hygienic clinical environment.
What is the time taken for the procedure?
The complete procedure takes about 1 hour. The post treatment healing can take anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks.
What are the pre and post-treatment measures to be followed?
- Ensure you lips don’t have any cold sores/blisters
- Ensure enough hydration of the lips since smoother skin retains pigments better than dry, flaky skin.
- The colour will naturally fade in the first 2 weeks post treatment which is expected
- Ensure that you don’t pick your dead skin after the procedure
- Ensure you keep your lips moisture
- Try to stay away from spicy and salty foods
- We recommend for a follow-up in 4 – 6 weeks
How many sessions are recommended for a visible difference?
Only one session is required, with a touch-up every year.