What is lip augmentation (lip fillers)?
Also called as lip pout or lip enhancement, it is a non surgical procedure that will give you a fuller plumper lips by adding volume to the lips. The most common method to do so is by injecting a dermal filler.
Type of filler used in lips?
- Hyaluronic acid – Most commonly used as it is a natural substance found in the body.
- Collagen – Not used lately because of the risk of allergic reaction
- Fat – Unpredictable results
What are the different brands of hyaluronic acid?
There are several hyaluronic acid fillers on the market. Among them are these products:
- Restylane, Restylane-L, Restylane Silk
- Perlane, Perlane-L
- Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Juvederm voluma, juvederm lip – They are FDA approved and used in my clinic.
- Prevelle Silk
Newer Hyaluronic acid have lignocaine in it so it reduces the pain and avoids the need of an anesthesia/nerve block in patients.
What are the advantages of hyaluronic acid?
The most important benefits of using hyaluronic acid fillers include:
- The amount of substance injected into the lips is decided completely by the doctor. The results are instant and hence the doctor has complete control over the lip volume which he is creating
- Any lumps or bumps or increase volume of the lips can be easily dissolved
- No bruising and very little edema
- Newer fillers don’t need a nerve block
- Long lasting results
- Hydration of the lips
What are pre-procedure instruction?
- Stop aspirin and vitamin E medication 3 – 4 days before the procedure
- In-depth detailed analysis of the current lip structure
- Counsel the patient about the procedure and what patient would like her/his lips to look like
- Explain the patient to refrain from biting lips and quite smoking as the filler would dissolve faster
- Explain the patient about post procedure slight swelling and no major event or occasion 1 week after the procedure
What is the procedure for the lip augmentation?
- Before injecting, anesthesia can be given to ease discomfort or if the filler has lignocaine in it then it can be carried out without any numbing agent.
- Areas are marked and the filler is injected using a very fine needle.
- Following the injection, ice maybe given to control swelling.
- The product is slightly massaged and patient is counseled about the swelling of the lips which would increase in the next 24 hours.
- Avoid any massage or firm pressure on the lips.
- No dental work to be done for few days after the procedure.
- After 2 days when the swelling reduces the lips will look natural and fuller and softer.
What are the indication for lip augmentation?
- Achieving a more sensuous look
- Providing more balance to facial features
- Restoring lost volume and shape
- Increasing self-confidence in their appearance
- Hydration of the lips particularly in smokers
What are the side effects?
Side effects of hyaluronic acid fillers are temporary and should only last a few days. They may include:
- Bleeding from the injection sites
- Swelling and bruising
- Redness and tenderness at the site of the injection
- Bumps or lumps which can be easily dissolved
How long do these fillers last?
It depends entirely on the material used for injecting . But ideally it needs to be repeated in every 12 months. Newer fillers last longer so they can last upto 18 months. However in smokers the filler can last for only 9 months.