Psoriasis is a chronic long-term skin condition with cyclic periods of remission and flare-ups. It is highly unpredictable and can flare up even after long remissions. Medications and other treatment options only control the symptoms. There are some self-care measures that can reduce flare-up frequency and improve symptoms.
Except for Guttate psoriasis which sometimes goes away after a single attack, all other types of psoriasis tend to reoccur. The following self-care tips may not prevent psoriasis onset or flare-ups. But they help a lot in improving inflamed and damaged skin conditions. They reduce the uncomfortable itch and make you feel better all over.
Skin care measures
Keeping your skin moist is crucial. Dry cold weather makes the skin itchy and worsens the plaques. You should
- Avoid dry and cold weather.
- Moisturize effectively.
- Moisturize immediately after bath it helps in better absorption.
- Use ointments and medicated creams.
- Take short quick warm bath with mild soaps Epsom & bath salts, use oatmeal etc.
- Cover infected areas at night.
- Avoid wearing garments of woolen or nylon.Its best to use cotton.
- Use sunlight – but sparingly and not too strong sunlight.
Keep away from psoriasis triggers
Psoriasis triggers can activate a flare-up inadvertently. By knowing the triggers and keeping them in check can avoid precipitating flare-ups. You can
- Avoid stress.
- Avoid infection.
- Avoid skin injuries like cuts and scratch which may cause a flare-up in the injured area.
- Avoid certain drugs like lithium, beta blockers etc.
Heavy alcohol consumption is linked to psoriasis incidence and frequent flare-ups. Smoking makes psoriasis worse and it is directly proportional to the usage. Women smokers suffer more and psoriasis is a good reason for quitting smoking. Though there is no direct evidence that diet affects psoriasis, there is an increased incidence of diabetes, heart disease and obesity in patients suffering from psoriasis and a healthier life style can keep you safe from these healthcare concerns.
- Healthy diet
- Control obesity
Diligently follow your treatment plan
Following every step of the psoriasis treatment plan can be sometimes tiresome, discouraging and inconvenient. But sticking to the treatment under an expert dermatologist can control and contain the flare-ups and improve the quality of your life.