What is Thread lift ?
Thread lifting is a minimally invasive medical aesthetic procedure for lifting different parts of the face (brows, jaws, nasolabial folds, midface ) and body ( upper thigh, upper arm, abdominal area). This treatment involves using special threads without having to make a surgical incision. It is one of the popular treatments that patients do at my Mumbai clinic.
What are the Indications?
- Face lifting
- Deep wrinkles of nasolabial folds and forehead
- Filling midface
- Tightening of jawline and double chin
- Volume reduction – Under eye bags and double chin
- Wrinkles and fold – Face and neck and hands
- Contouring – Face, breast, hip and upper arms
- Body lifting – Abdominal area, buttocks, upper thigh, and upper arm
What are the Contraindications?
- Prone to keloid scarring
- Non complaint patient
- Unrealistic expectation
- Patient who have excessive sagging skin at an advanced age will show a very limited improvement
- Bleeding disorder
What are the advantages?
- Minimal recovery time
- No side effects
- Less pain
- Immediate result
What are the pre-procedure instructions?
Patients is thoroughly examined and prepared for the procedure. Patient is explained the theory of the treatment, process, no of treatments required, the cost and the outcome of the treatment. I personally like to make my patients stand in front of the mirror and demonstrate on their skin the approximate lift that this treatment will give them, so that patients get a clear idea of the results. I also advise my patients to have realistic expectation.
What are the steps for the procedure?
- Application of anesthetic cream for 30 – 60 minutes
- Cleansing of the skin after the skin is numb
- Photos are taken
- Marking of the skin for planning out the injection points
- Nerve block maybe required
- Insertion of the threads
- Immediate post treatment photos
What are the post procedure instructions?
- Cleaning the skin and applying antibiotic cream
- Ice pack to be applied to the area to prevent swelling and bruising for about 20 minutes
- Pain is managed by oral anlagesics
- Recommended to elevate the head on the first day to reduce swelling
- Patient is advised to sleep on the back and to avoid any massage of the face for 3 weeks after the treatment
- Patient is advised not to take any anti inflammatory medications for the next two weeks. As the treatment involves a normal inflammatory phase to achieve the desired result.
- No make up to be applied for 12 hours
What are complication which can occur?
- A risk of small hematoma
- Mild infection
- Dislodging of the thread
- Mild swelling which subsides in few hours
How long will the results last?
The results will last for anywhere between 1.5 years to 2 years. But it also depends on the number of threads used, the technique and the type of thread used which would identify how long the results would last.