What is microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a safe cosmetic procedure that is a superficial resurfacing technique in which skin surface is exfoliated or abraded using a mechanical medium. It consist of two system:
- Projection system which is responsible for a controlled projection of the exfoliating material like crystals or diamond flakes.
- Suction/Evacuation system – Creates vacuum and gently lifts up the skin and aspirates the dead skin cells.
Who can perform the Microdermabrasion?
It has to be performed in the clinic by a trained skin care professional. Its best to get the procedure done by a dermatologist. As too much aggressive microdermabrasion can leave the skin dry and dull.
What are the pre-procedure instructions?
- Avoid any waxing or laser procedure 3 – 4 days before the procedure.
- Avoid using any glycolic or retinioc based creams 3- 4 days before the procedure.
How is microdermabrasion performed?
The procedure takes only 20 – 30 minutes and patient can get back to work immediately. So it has gained popularity as a good fix before a party or an important event.
The steps to microdermabrasion treatment?
- Cleanse and degrease the skin.
- Through a small tube pressed against the skin aluminum oxide micro crystals are sandblasted across the entire face making sure of going little beyond the hair line and behind the ears to give consistent color and skin texture.
- The third step is to vacuum the dead skin cells and the used micro crystals.
- Patients skin is calmed with a face mask.
- Good sunscreen block is given.
The procedure is painless and the patient may experience slight tingling sensation. Some patient may look pinkish for 24 hours but its only temporary and will fade in time. This procedure needs to be repeated for maximal results. One can do 5 – 12 sessions spaced 2 – 3 weeks apart. Following which maintenance will be required.
How to take care after a microdermabrasion ?
- Hydrate the skin well with a good moisturizing cream.
- Follow a good skin care routine.
- Apply a good thick layer of sunscreen and reapply every 3- 4 hours.
- Not to bleach or wax or any other salon activities on the face for 7 days after the procedure.
Advantages of microdermabrasion?
- Easy procedure
- Safe during pregnancy and lactation
- Downtime and recovery is very fast
- No side effects
- No anesthesia required
- Safe on all skin color and type
- Excellent option for skin sensitive to peel or laser procedure
- Good option for a quick glow before an important event
Microdermabrasion doesn’t work on?
It doesn’t work on scars and deeply spotted areas on the face as it works on only the top layer of the skin and helps in exfolaition of the top layer.