What is Dermaroller?
Dermaroller is a sterile roller which is in the shape of a hammer made of pure stainless steel with a series of fine sharp needles to make small micro punctures in the skin. This process is called as micro needling or skin needling. It is a collagen induction therapy which helps to stimulate the body’s own production of collagen
What is the principle for the Derma roller?
Dermaroller helps in two ways
- Creates many microscopic channels deep into the dermis of the skin which help in two ways
- Facilitates the passage and absorption of the applied product into the deeper part of the skin
- Mainly the micro channels cause growth factors to be released and stimulate the fibroblast cells to produce more collagen and make the skin more stronger thicker and plump.
- They also break thru the fibrous bands that pull down the acne scars. So it helps to release the skin free from the fibrous bands and works well on pitted scars.
What are the indications for Derma roller?
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Anti– aging / skin tightening
- Acne scars/ pitted scars
- Open pores / skin texture improvement
- Stretch marks
What are the pre-procedure instructions?
- Stop all applications 2 days prior to the treatment day
- Use sunscreen regularly before the start of the treatment
- If you are on any kind of medication, share all details with the dermatologist performing the procedure
What are the steps for Dermaroller?
- Patient is explained the procedure in detail to remove any anxiety regarding the procedure.
- Local anesthesia is applied for 45 minutes before the procedure. A good thick layer is applied to numb the skin.
- After which the skin is cleansed very well with antiseptic and equipments are well sterilized. The procedure is carried out in sterile conditions to avoid spread of infection.
- Rolling is done with the dermaroller in all directions. This is done 15 – 20 times in horizontal, vertical, and oblique direction; Petechie or pin-point bleeding which occurs is easily controlled.
- After treatment, the area is wetted with saline pads.
- The entire procedure lasts for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the extent of the area to be treated.
- After the procedure apply hyaluoronic acid or growth factors to help speed the process of collagen induction.
- Lastly a thin layer of antibiotic layer is applied and patient is sent home.
What are post procedure instructions?
- Wash face after 6 – 8 hours using a gently cleanser or a soap free cleanser
- Use a moisturizer every 6 hours to keep skin hydrated
- Avoid direct sun exposure and strict use of sunscreen is advised
- No saunas steam or sunbathing for 7 days after the procedure
- Get back to the regular skin care routine 7 days after the procedure
How often can this procedure be done?
Derma roller is advised at an interval of 3 – 4 weeks in younger individual but in older individuals the fibroblast cells regenerate collagen much slowly so it can be done at an interval of 6 – 8 weeks. Its best decided by the dermatologist.
Advantages of the Dermaroller?
- Effective in inducing ones own collagen production
- Very less side effects
- No laser machine required
- No heavy machines required